Stuffing is typically prepared for the holidays, but why wait on something so delicious when Handy makes it so easy for you to make? Our oyster stuffing has it all packed into one easy dish. Serve as a side or in a bowl of your very own. However you like it!
- 3 TBSP Butter
- 3 Cups Cubed White Bread (stale)
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 3 Celery Ribs, Diced
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 2 TBSP Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- ½ Cup Corn Kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Pint Shucked Handy Oysters
- 8 oz Fresh Sage Sausage (bulk or with casings removed)
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat and cook the sausage in 1 TBSP of the butter until most of the fat has rendered, then remove the sausage from the pot using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Remove the oysters from the container reserving the liquid and while still over medium high heat, sauté the oysters in batches of five or six for 30 to 45 seconds or until the lips start to curl, then remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Using the same pot add the remaining butter and while still over medium-high heat add the onion and celery and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the corn, chicken stock and ½ cup of the reserved oyster liquid and bring to a boil, then add the cubed bread and remove from heat.
- Add the reserved oysters and sausage along with the parsley and stir to combine, then season to taste with salt and pepper, cover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, then remove the lid and cook an additional 5 minutes uncovered. Serve hot! Makes 4-6 portions.